rss
email
twitter
facebook

Thursday 8 January 2009

Watchman Uncle..


One of the best things about coming to college and leaving it every day in our
first year of college was greeting our watchman uncle..An aged man, his name was Bahadur and though not many people speak to the watchmen at college, our gang used to.
All of us used to usually go and greet him with a big hii and how are you?And he replied with his sweet old smile..As days grew by, we grew more close..He tried to remember all our names.Sonali was his favorite and He managed with Neha and Sushmita instead and always seemed to forget Ayisha's name.Lol.
Whenever time permitted, we went to meet him.We bought him chocolates and little treats from the pantry van once in a while..He always asked us whether we needed something..
I remember on pulse 2007 day 3,I was a volunteer..But was really ill that day and was on the verge of fainting..I was going back home..He asked me why I looked so ill and realising that I didn't have lunch he was forcing me to to come to the food stalls telling that he would buy it for me.

I cannot forget his gentle and kind nature and the way he blessed us with good luck when we were worried before the exams began..He used to tell "God will make all things right."
That was 1st puc; This year though we didn't see much of him..and a new watchman was replaced..whom we also did go say hii too..But the older one was our favorite and will always be.
Bahadur uncle came one day with red scars on his arms and told us these were scars of the injections he had been taking at the hospital.He was ill.


4th january was his birthday.
On the first day of coll this year,5th January,I went to meet my college counsellor and she was casually talking to me telling me that she wanted me to meet the principal that day.But,Sister was out of college as she was attending a funeral.
She, then, told me that watchman uncle had died.He had been suffering from cancer and Sister had gone that day to his funeral.


I was too stunned to talk.Numbness engulfed me.I told her I had to leave.
I quietly walked back to the drive and told my friends there about the sad news.
The drive was noisy as usual with a hundred girls chattering away.But, for us, it was one of the quietest and saddest lunch breaks we had ever seen.
We will miss you and you will always be remembered as our dear old mcc's watchman uncle.
RIP
:'(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i remember everytime i passed by college even wen it was a holiday i made it a point to meet uncle... i gave him cookies i baked for christmas n he said he ll take it to his wife.. he told me the next day that his wife wwas so happy n she said god would give me everything i wanted in life.. he once met my parents and said that god will surely take me a long way n i respected elders.. it meant a lot to me.. its because of his blessings and goodwishes m sure i ve come a step closer to my dream.. i miss you watchman uncle.. i ll never forget your birthday.. v all love you..
sonali

stylistica said...

yeah I know... no matter what..he was close to us and influenced our lives in one way or the other.. and this is the best way I thought of paying homage to him :)

Post a Comment