rss
email
twitter
facebook

Thursday 8 January 2009

We live in deeds,not years..

Ask any girl from my college, as to where do they go when they bunk?Where do they eat during lunchbreaks?Where do they get their thick xerox copies from and where do they go to check out the net?Where do they go to mend their broken sandals and buy the newest accesories?

You will get just one common answer-Loafer's lane.
Yes, it gets it's name from the carmelites who loaf their everytime and the guys who loaf there to check out the carmelites. :P
Here, we have our most famous chaat and juice shops.
One day after college, it was about 3 o' clock and I was damn hungry.Sadly, I spent all my cash in paying for some zoology notes that day and I had only change left.
I counted them and I had 6 rupees.Now,what can you buy for 6 rupees, you may wonder.
But, trust me, around our college, you get a lot of things for that much and lesser.
I thought about buying a samosa from the famous 'kolkata chaat house' down the lane.
That will be 6 rupees spent well, I thought and walked down as the sun beat down on the road.

As always, there were a few girls already there and I waited my turn.
There were 2 pretty girls buying everything expensive on the list, holding a choco mocha.
The way one of them spoke; I was wondering "what airs she's got? As usual, another rich,spoilt brat of my college."
She bought a samosa and was looking down, searching for something saying "Kaha gayi woh?Yahi tho thi."
And then, from behind a bench, came a small girl, about 2 years old..she looked smaller for her age and she was the cutest face I had seen all week, even though, it was dirty.Obviously, she was one of the many kids of the labourers who worked near college. The pretty girl handed the samosa out to the smaller one, and the 2-yr old gave such a smile of gratitude that it melted my heart and she took out a 50 paisa coin in return to pay for it.
That's all the little girl had.

The older girl in hindi, told her "no, this is for you ..you don't have to pay me back" and she walked away.The men who made the chaats were staring at her as she walked off and looked at the little girl with a big smile.They probably,didn't see such kindness quite often.
One of them, eyed the change in my hand and asked me,"Samosa chahiye, madam?"
I replied a yes absent-mindedly.
When I walked back to the bus-stop eating my samosa,I felt a bit of guilt.I did not want to eat it.
That day,I was taught not to judge a person by looking at them.
And the pretty girl also,taught me how to spend 6 rupees well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment